Providing pro bono advice on your criminal case, including reviewing reports, answering questions about your case, and advice regarding available defenses and strategies.
In my 40 plus years of practice, I have earned a great reputation as a criminal defense attorney. My strong reputation has earned me a spot as one of the top criminal defense lawyers on SuperLawyers.com. I am well known throughout greater Los Angeles for defending many high-profile cases including the “Yom Kippur” murder case and the “Burrito” murder case.
Dedication and excellence mark both my personal history and my professional successes. I was born and raised in Los Angeles: from Boyle Heights to Baldwin Hills to Fairfax and Mid-Wilshire to Beverly Hills where I currently practice. I attended Fairfax High School and the University of Southern California (USC) where I graduated with honors. The most influential person in my life was my father, F. Filmore Jaffe, who taught me at a young age the importance of responsibility, courage, tenacity, respect, honor, and perseverance. I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth but rather a baseball in one hand and a bat in the other.
Along with criminal law, baseball is my other true passion. Baseball is a metaphor for life: sometimes you hit a home run and sometimes you strikeout, but there is no excuse for a lack of effort. While at USC, I was the center fielder on the 1968 National Championship Baseball Team. My baseball coach, the legendary Rod Dedeaux, selected as the College Coach of the Century, was another major influence in my life. His most instructive expression was “just the way I like it.” It means simply no excuses, no complaints, no whining, moaning, groaning, crying or sniveling. When you meet adversity, don’t shy away from but deal with it head-on. That way you are one step ahead of those who choose to moan and groan about adversity.
So, when I encounter a judge or prosecutor whom I believe is not treating my client fairly, I will not moan or whine about it, but step up for you and respectfully speak my mind on your behalf. You’d be amazed at the results attorneys may get and the reciprocal respect is given when you give respect and courtesy. Most important, nobody likes arrogance or aggression, but everyone respects humility and assertiveness. Humility is not a weakness, but rather a strength that will always inure to the benefit of the client.
Fellow lawyers and clients alike testify to my hardworking, compassionate and diligent defense style.
- Southwestern University School of Law, J.D. -1972
- University of Southern California, B.A. with honors – 1969
- 2014 Recipient of the Criminal Courts Bar Association’s JOSEPH ROSEN JUSTICE AWARD in recognition of his “tireless and dedicated pursuit of truth and justice throughout his outstanding legal career. His exemplary and selfless commitment, exceptional skill, and loyalty have benefitted his clients, the criminal justice community, and society. A true champion both on the field and in the courtroom.”
- AV Preeminent® Rating (5 out of 5) by Martindale-Hubbell® for over 25 years
- Consistently named as a Top Attorney of Southern California by LA Magazine
- Consistently named as a Southern California Super Lawyer®
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Beverly Hills Bar Association
- Criminal Courts Bar Association of Los Angeles
- Criminal Justice Section LACB